Grant Process Refinements
Over the past couple of years, the Foundation has received a record number of grant funding requests as the need for resources among Colorado nonprofits continues to grow. In response to these increasing demands, we are refining our grantmaking procedures to better serve our partners – starting with you, our current and potential grantees.
While the Foundation is in the process of developing these refinements, you should know that the majority of these changes mostly will impact our internal work. Applicants will notice little change other than an improved experience when applying for grants and partnering with the Foundation.
We will continue to focus on the same Funding Strategies within our community outcome areas of Healthy Living, Health Care and Health Coverage. And we expect our grantmaking levels to remain the same as recent years.
We will continue to work on these refinements during the next several months and update you prior to any changes coming online. Please be assured that we will provide you with any and all information that may impact your current and future applications with the Foundation.
In 2012, the Foundation changed its grant application deadline frequency. You now have three opportunities to apply for grant funding.
Grant Application Modifications
Starting with the Feb. 15, 2012 grant application deadline, there are a few changes to the grant application. These changes are as follows:
You will notice that each narrative section of the online application has a word limit listed at the top. These word limits are now enforced, and you will not be able to submit your application if you exceed these limits. For your reference, here are the word limits for each section:
- Proposal Summary – 100 words
- Proposed Activities – 1,000 words
- Intermediate Milestones – 500 words
- Method for tracking and calculating your measurable results – 500 words
- Organization Information – 500 words
- Financial Information – 500 words
Applicants must upload all required attachments before submitting an application. If you do not have a required document, we ask that you attach a word document explaining why you are not able to submit this information.
We have slightly modified the financial documents required for your application. Please submit the following:
- Organization's current annual operating budget (revenues and expenses for your organization's current fiscal year)
- Organization's most current financial statements (interim income statement and balance sheet through the most recently closed month-end of current year)
- Most recent completed audited financial statements
For non-profit organizations, the Foundation no longer requires that you submit your IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter. We will verify your tax status against the IRS database and contact you for additional information if necessary.
If you have questions, please contact our grants management department at 303.953.3600.
Changes to Applicant Budget Template
Starting with the June 15, 2012 deadline, the Foundation asks that all applicants use a new line-item budget template. Our prior budget template has been modified to more clearly reflect the information the Foundation needs to consider a grant request. The changes include:
- Condensed line-item categories and clarified budget instructions describing what information should be included in each revenue and expense line item
- The ability to reflect in-kind donations as a source of income
- The addition of a line item for capital project requests
- Additional clarity on who is eligible to request an indirect fee
When applying, please use the modified budget form and instructions. If you have any questions, please contact our grants management department at 303.953.3600.