Before You Apply
To save time and effort, we recommend that all applicants become
familiar with our three outcome areas and their respective strategies, program
areas and open funding opportunities.
Review program areas and funding opportunities
Who can apply?
Generally, the Colorado Health Foundation makes grants to the following types of organizations:
- Colorado organizations classified as tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3)
- Colorado public agencies, including state and local governments
New or emerging organizations without 501(c)(3) status are permitted to apply through a tax-exempt organization acting as fiscal sponsor. The fiscal sponsor has full discretion and control over any awarded grant funds, and should have the organizational capacity to manage and accept the risks involved with fiscal sponsorship. Please download the Foundation's fiscal sponsor policy and sample memorandum of understanding (MOU). On occasion, we will also make grants to organizations with a 501(c)(4) status. If you have any questions about your organization's eligibility, please do not hesitate to contact us at 303.953.3600 and ask to speak with grants management..
Note: If a public support test requirement to retain public charity status applies to your organization, as a public charity grantee of the Colorado Health Foundation, it is essential that you ensure the grant your organization receives will not cause it to lose its status as a publicly supported charity.
Before applying, we recommend the following:
- Review open funding opportunities for eligibility and deadlines within Healthy Living, Health Care and Health Coverage;
- Read the FAQ;
- Contact a program officer if you want to discuss your project before beginning the online application process;
- Participate in a live webinar (or listen to a recorded one) to learn more about the application process and how to use the Colorado Health Foundation's online grant application;
- Review our Grantmaking Glossary to become familiar with terminology that appears throughout the application process.
Foundation offers three annual deadlines to apply for grant funding: Feb. 15,
June 15 and Oct. 15, but not all funding opportunities will be open each cycle.
Funding opportunities vary in accordance with the program area needs. Read more
about the new program
After your application has been submitted, the Colorado Health Foundation will screen it for completeness and eligibility. Your application will be assigned to the appropriate team for review, and a Foundation staff person may contact you to discuss your proposal and follow-up with any additional questions. Staff may occasionally schedule a site visit to meet you in person and further discuss proposed activities.
While we strive to be as responsive as possible, please note that review of your proposal may take up to four months. You will be notified as soon as we reach a decision. At any point during the process, please do not hesitate to contact your assigned staff person with questions or concerns.