Funding Opportunity: Enhance Health Engagement through Patient Portal Use
This funding opportunity aims to increase individual and family health engagement through the use of patient portals at the clinic level.
The Foundation contracted with a statewide portal integration partner to provide technical assistance, coaching, and other resources to assist selected organizations with planning and implementation activities.
Both grantee cohorts have been selected and announced.
Organizations awarded grants will continue to engage with the statewide partner on the implementation of their work plans through 2016. One-year, non-renewable implementation grants were awarded through this funding opportunity.
Grant Deadline: Not accepting applications. This work is in progress.
We're here to help
Have questions? Contact your Program Officer for more information.
Associated Measurable Results: Grantees will be asked to indicate how their work will numerically:
- Increase the number of Coloradans who are actively engaged in their health.
Additional Evaluation Activities: As part of this funding opportunity, grantees are engaging in an evaluation study conducted by an external evaluator. The study aims to capture successes and lessons learned around portal implementation and effectiveness and to help the Foundation understand the value of the technical assistance model. It is designed to only require a minimal amount of time from grantees who are asked to collect specific quantitative and/or qualitative data about their activities and to participate in some limited data collection with the evaluator (e.g., interviews, surveys).
What we considered for funding:
The Foundation awarded grant funding for clinic-level activities that support portal integration and patient engagement. The following are some examples of project components that we funded:
- Personnel costs for individuals to serve as portal champions/advocates (short-term only)
- Funding to offset staff time for non-IT personnel directly participating on portal implementation teams (short-term only)
- Add-on EHR modules and/or other integrated tools focused on patient engagement and wellness or that enable mobile access to health information
- On-site tools and resources to support enrollment, usage and patient engagement
What we did NOT consider for funding:
- Patient portal software
- Electronic Health Record (EHR) systems
- IT personnel or contractors
- General operating or capital projects
- One-off, clinic-level external evaluations